22.10.09

Rodolfo Alonso en inglés

Poems of Rodolfo Alonso

translated by Mary Hawley



GIFTS TO GIVE

I give you what they gave me:
the sacred odor
of wet earth,
and the voice that is the wind
in the high branches.

I give back what I had:
brother trees,
flowers tuned to
the fog, the cricket, the bird
singing in misting rain.

Neither inheritance nor legacy.
Only passion and time.
Fervent life, the air,
the radiant morning,
the heavens in your eyes.

We take nothing with us.
Did we deserve to?
The flame of an instant.
colors in the sun,
the twilight together.

The flames of the bonfire
where we are burning.

And do I see what sees me?
In the right moment,
the smooth brilliance
of pure noon
on a white table

and fruits harmonizing
like close relatives:
the light, the color range, the iris,
lemons with bananas
and the green apple.

We belong in the rain,
instantaneous, suddenly,
intimate and gregarious,
near and distant.
The rain is our temple.

The song obvious,
the word embodied,
arriving from elsewhere
because it rang from within.
Or are we not language?

And the fire of the species,
horizon and history.





DONES PARA DONAR

Te doy lo que me dieron:
aquel sagrado olor
a la tierra mojada,
y esa voz que es el viento
entre las ramas altas.

Devuelvo lo que tuve:
los árboles hermanos,
las flores que modula
la niebla, el grillo, el pájaro
cantando en la garúa.

Ni herencia, ni legado.
Sólo pasión y tiempo.
La intensa vida, el aire,
la mañana radiante
y cielos en los ojos.

No nos llevamos nada.
¿Es que lo merecimos?
La llama del instante,
colores en el sol,
el crepúsculo juntos.

El fuego de la hoguera
donde vamos ardiendo.

¿Y veo lo que me ve?
En el momento justo,
el liso resplandor
del neto mediodía
sobre una mesa blanca

y frutas entonadas
como parientes próximos:
la luz, la gama, el iris,
limones con bananas
y la manzana verde.

En la lluvia cabemos
instantáneos, de pronto,
íntimos y gregarios,
cercanos y distantes.
La lluvia es nuestro templo.

La canción evidente,
la palabra encarnada,
lo que llegó de afuera
porque sonaba dentro.
¿O es que no somos, lengua?

Y el fuego de la especie,
horizonte y pasado.





CONSEQUENCES

One day, looking at the previously unseen hollow between the thumb and index finger of my right hand, I saw my self beating. In other words, I surprised my living self, I have seen life doing its work, my body doing its work, on its own, without my having anything to do with any of it.





CONSECUENCIAS

Un día, mirando sin haberlo previsto el hueco entre el pulgar y el índice de mi mano derecha, yo me he visto latir. Es decir, me he sorprendido vivo, he visto a la vida haciendo su trabajo, a mi cuerpo haciendo su trabajo, por su cuenta, sin que yo tuviera nada que ver en todo eso.


Rodolfo Alonso, translated by Mary Hawley

_______________

No hay comentarios: